 General / 50877
Re: Brickshelf going away???
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 30 May 2005 09:03:48 GMT

In lugnet.general, Rick Clark wrote:
In lugnet.general, Tommy Armstrong wrote:

The web is wonderful but it ain't permanent or free. If the people who use
brickshelf think so much of it (and I have always been impressed with it), then
they should be willing to pay for a subscription to upload and download images.

I'd certainly be for micropayments for uploading images. I don't know how many
images are uploaded each day/week/month, but at $.01 each, I should think the
income might add up, yet wouldn't break anybody.

It'd be nice to keep the ability to view images free, though, since it opens up
the building community to the rest of the world.

Agreed. I havent looked much at maj.com, but there are tonnes of other pictures
than lego.
Micropayments on Bricklink could be the way.

But - my opinion - it should be by used storages. Some people upload _huge_
pictures of sizes of e.g. 1MB - I resize mine so the fit the screen size, and
take only 50-100 Kb -> 10% of a large image.
And I guess that resizing larger pictures could free a lot of space on the
server.

So, I suggest, that e.g. for every 50 Kb uploaded one should an amount. The
amount to pay is not for me to comment, Kevin knows more.

This way people will pay for how much the actually use, and my point - it would
be more pleasent to view pictures, when you actually can see more than just the
corner of it.

PS: paypal is one solution, but do think of something else for us, who cannot
use paypal!

PPS: I know that newer versions of IE resizes pictures, but keep in mind -
luckily there are other browsers in use ;-)

Kevin, can you comment on this?
Would it help, it people uploaded smaller pictures for the server size?