 General / 43814
Re: Lego now making Mega Bloks colors (was Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match...)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego, lugnet.off-topic.clone-brands
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 18:30:17 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Petrucelli wrote:
In lugnet.general, Chris Phillips wrote:
In lugnet.general, Mark Riley wrote:
That was my initial thought on seeing the new dark gray, too.  Now it won't
be so obvious when Lego and Mega Bloks are blended together in a MOC.  :-P

There's an easy way to identify the MegaBloks -- shake the model gently and see
which pieces fall off!

Well that was the case 4 or 5 years ago. As of 2 to 3 years ago Mega Bloks is
much improved. Only the occasional 1x1 part suffers this problem now but there
are usually 10 to 20 extras so you can get one that makes the model work. I am
very happy with the navy ships I own. (TLC dosent' make them, their loss)

I have to agree.  I'm holding a chunk of dark gray blocks from a recent MB set
and they all stick together very well, the colors of the various parts match and
the bricks themselves line up nicely so that surfaces that are supposed to be
smooth are smooth.  Unfortunately, I have recently noticed that my Lego blocks
do not always create smooth surfaces.  Take a look at this picture and see how
uneven the surface created by the blocks is:

I've noticed this on many of my models and it is disturbing, to say the least.

A lot of people tout Lego quality, but I don't think it's the same as it once
was.  Another example is the straition (or tiny grooves) that appear on the
surface of some bricks and plates.  It's as if they are manufacturing the bricks
too fast and the part isn't cooled down enough when they push it out of the
mold.  This effect is quite pronounced on some parts, but almost absent on
others so it appears to be a quality control issue to me.

Mark