 General / 43562
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 04:47:46 GMT

In lugnet.general, Harvey Henkelman wrote:
   Looks like The Lego Group is finally cutting corners (literally) in order to compete with cheap clone brands. Is this the end of good-quality Lego?, or is this merely a bad batch of product?

Yeah, this is bad juju.

Nobody wants grey elements that don’t match with light and dark grey as we have known them. I don’t necessarily mind additions to the color scheme as we know it, but to eliminate the greys is just madness. I don’t even have any of those ultra-light greys from the mosaic sets, nor do I want any.

The greys are THEE pair of colors not to mess with -- everyone loves the greys. Everyone needs those precise colors to make larger projects work. It just won’t do to have most of one kind of grey and then some few odd pieces of new grey mixed into the design. It means you will have to build in old and new grey separately. It means you will have to collect a lot of new grey to make your designs color matched. It means you will have to buy new grey versions of elements you already have to color match your designs.

Can it be a scheme to make us buy lots more of the new grey? I hate to think that TLC thinks this way, but maybe it’s true...?

The rounded corners thing has to be a considered engineering choice -- not a good one, but a thoughtful one nonetheless. I mean, they have to make the mold that way for the elements to end up with the overly rounded edges on the studs, right? That much has to have been intended on purpose!

If this all turns out to be true and greys as we know them are on the way out, I may just have to pay more attention to my other hobbies. TLC seems to take as many steps backwards as forwards lately. Not knowing what greys to expect in a set kind of pushes the limits for me. I thankfully have most of what I need or wanted anyway, but maybe now I will try to purposefully pull back from this nonsense.

I am more than annoyed that TLC works against us this way -- it’s just too hard, too much energy, too much time, and too much money for them to play “bait and switch” with us now.

What can they be thinking?!

-- Hop-Frog