 General / 44260
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Fri, 28 Nov 2003 10:38:37 GMT

In lugnet.general, Eric Brok wrote:
1 Replacing or augmenting existing colors with slightly different colors will
cause confusion and bad publicity.
- We will have a harder time sorting out pieces and need more storage
compartments (Or we just toss them together and deal with the differences during
building)

Two new colours shouldnt be a big issue for sorting. If you are keen eyed, it'll
be easy, and if not, then you won't care about the difference.

- When rebuilding sets from instructions later on, after the pieces got mingled
with other sets, we won't be able to tell from the picture which shade of grey
is meant, especially given the modern instruction graphics with shadows and
highlights instead of consistent reference colors.

You will be able to figure this out simply by referring to the date of the set.
Also, Lugnet, Bricklink, Peeron etc can help out here.

- When we buy a new set, from now on you don't know which colors you will get,
since you can't tell from the box. It's one thing to consult Peeron, but box art
should be able to show us what we buy.

The AFOL community will surely help handle this.

- The general public will not be aware of the differences, hence second-hands
sets will be a random mix of right and wrong shades.

Well, second hand sets are always a bit dodgy. I personally hate getting the new
thin walled bricks in old sets but hey that's life.

- Many buyers may want to return sets if they discover the colors don't match,
without knowing this is actual TLG policy.

Very doubtful. Apart from a few AFOLs who shouldn't be surprised.

- Consumer organisations and tv-shows will love to have a bite at this, LEGO
suddenly producing off-colored bricks 'No, no, this is not bad quality, the
newer bricks were *intentionally* colored slightly different. Research shows
kids like them better'. Explain that to your market.

<sarcasm>Oh yeah, I am sure this will be on 60 Minutes. Its right up there with
New Coke </sarcasm>

2 TLG is wasting effort
Regardless if the new greys look 'better', I find it uncomprehensible that in
these difficult economic times for TLG, some product developer was lend an ear
at all by management when he or she raised this issue "Hey guys, now we have all
that grey in Star Wars and Harry Potter, focus groups say our product line tends
to look a bit dull. So why don't we spice up the grey colors, so the sets will
look a little more crisp?!" Yeah, that will safeguard the future of TLG, right.

I'm sorry this all seems harsh and I sincerely hope this will prove to be too
pessimistic. But remember ZNAP, GALIDOR and the name change of the DUPLO brand.
All those were major strategic failures based on some optimistic marketing
belief, and TLG had to discard product lines or change back.

Its the Toy business! You have to try a few things out! What about their gambles
that have succeeded, such as (ahem) Bionicle - despite dire warnings from AFOLs?
Yeah Znap was kinda dumb, Galidor probably would have suceeded if the series it
was based on didn't blow, and I am not aware of the Duplo rebranding being
withdrawn.

While I don't doubt the sound intentions of TLG designers and marketeers, and
their valid arguments, recent history shows how changes can backfire because
certain effects (such as mentioned above) were overlooked or underestimated.

Because Lego is a privately held company, locked in a battle for survival with
brands such as Hot Wheels, Fisher Price and  Barbie, plus all the Hasbro brands,
we really never find out what failed or succeeded.

I will be very surprised if the colour change causes more than a blip in sales.

Until I have some of the new greys in my hands (digitised pics can be very
misleading) it looks like the new light grey is near enough not to worry. The
old dark grey was useful for "earthy" things it really doesn't go well with the
other colours.