 General / 43597
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 03:44:24 GMT

As far as rounded edges on studs, it may make it easier to assemble bricks
without such a high level of manual dexterity. Perhaps TLC is having to appeal
to kids with such short attention span that they will not play with interlocking
bricks if the have to concentrate on aligning them. Sad, but a possibility ....

That's my guess about what's happening.  Chamfering would make parts somewhat
easier to assemble (just like in carpentry, the dowels for a dowel joint are
chamfered for easier insertion) at a cost of some gripping.  I'll have to buy
some of these sets to see how bad the change is.

In any case,  cannot be TLC "cheaping out"--this would mean a major tooling
change which would be expensive.  If they did this intentionally (and it's not
just some bad molds, which I'd find hard to believe if every part in the set is
like this) then it's got to be based on some serious market research that says
it will improve sales.

Peter