 General / 43632
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 01:29:30 GMT

Allan Bedford wrote:

It might be more accurate to say that more money is spent on LEGO by adults vs.
children.  However, do all those bricks end up in the hands of adults?  No,
probably not.

Kid fans of LEGO eventually grow up... and they either become adult fans
of LEGO, pass them on to their kids (in which case not as much LEGO is
bought for the successive generation, as there is already ample supply),
sell them via bricklink, ebay, or some other place, or (perish the
thought) the garbage.  So all LEGO either ultimately ends up in one of
two places: the trash bin, or the hands of adults.

It would be interesting to actually do some population sampling and find
out exactly how big the numbers are and where.

If the adult fan base who buy bricks
is so large (as you suggest) then the scenario above is a good one, not a bad
one.

As I said... the playing with electric trains began as a children's
hobby many years back and as adults began to get interested in it, a
market was specifically developed to cater to it (at higher markup
rates, typically).  This adult market now _DWARFS_ the child's market in
for hobby railroading.  It is perfectly reasonably for TLC to be leery
of inadvertently starting down this one-way road and might explain their
refusal to cater to the adult market.

So you began your post by asking if the comment about adult fans and the market
share they represent was serious; I think you can see that it is.  LUGNET is a
slanted view of the adult LEGO community.  Look at another point of view.  I
work with around 45 people in my office.  There is one adult LEGO fan.... me!
But there are probably 12 - 15 kids getting LEGO for birthdays, Christmas etc.
Do I buy as much for me as those parents are buying for those dozen or more
kids?  Not by a long shot.

Not at any one time, no... but over the course of an entire year?
Maybe... just maybe.

All the best,
Allan B.

Thanks Allan.