 General / 43695
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.off-topic.fun
Date:
Wed, 19 Nov 2003 00:22:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, Peter F. Guenther wrote:
Again, I can't possibly fathom that a change to the knob and
tube system is a result of the marketing folks running to management screaming,
"kids can't put the bricks together anymore!!! We must make it simpler for
them!!!"

We now know that this is a moot point, but something worries me about your
logic:

Not that kids can't put them together, but to make it easier--just like holes in
the minifig heads made them easier to pull off and slots in the technic pins
made them easier to pull out.  Making a change to make something easier for the
user doesn't imply that the user is incompetent or less competent than in the
past.

Your statements are true.... IF we are talking about a product or design that is
relatively new... perhaps only a few years old.  Then there is the
expectation/obligation for the company to respond to consumer
complaints/requests and fix parts of the product's design that are not working.
But the tube/stud design is more than 40 years old!  Does this suggest that LEGO
is really really slow in changing bad designs?

Had this change actually been true it's highly unlikely it would have been a
result of consumer complaints.  Those complaints would have been coming in since
before man landed on the moon!  But if the change had been made to help kids,
then it suggests either kids who aren't as agile as they were decades ago
(completely untrue) or it suggests a way to either save money or protect product
patents etc.

What really worries me though is that apparently the change to the grey color
was partly driven by consumer feedback.  Who are these people?  Who called the
company to express discontent over the shades of grey their kids were building
with.  I've heard parents complain that Mega Bloks don't click together well,
that LEGO is too expensive, that there aren't play sets for Bionicles... and the
list goes on.  I've never heard a kid, parent or adult builder complain that
light grey was making their LEGO building less enjoyable.  :)

Signed,
Head still spinning Bedford