 General / 43659
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 18:39:38 GMT

In lugnet.general, David Gregory wrote:
    Actually, Brad Justus and Jake McKee have always told us that they believe
the adult LEGO buyers to make up less than 5% of the retail market

While I agree with this, what keeps adults buying Lego instead of the cheaper
clones which have appealing set designs than when we were kids?

The answer is brand loyalty.  The parents played with Lego when they were kids,
not MegaBlocks.  These are the same parents who grew up knowing that typical
Lego clones were clearly inferior.

The challenge for Lego is to maintain that image of superiority in the current
generation of kids.  If kids today don't think Lego is superior, they won't
become adults that buy Lego for their kids, which is 95% of Lego's current
customers.  Unfortunately, for AFOL's, this doesn't necessarily mean higher
quality bricks.  It could mean sets that are more "fun" or "easier to build".
It could also mean sets that contain other brand images such as Star Wars or
Spiderman (I can still recall how I wished for official Star Wars Lego back in
the late 70's).

It could very well be that this is a very forward looking change in order to
maintain and build Lego's brand image with today's children.

Jeff