 General / 43577
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 18:31:03 GMT

Three things:

1. I don’t think anyone objects to additional colors, they object to color replacement with a different colors.

2. You might well be in a minority in not minding a mottled look to your MOCs, I think many others would be more than annoyed. In some ways, having a properly color coordinated design distinguishes a “refined” design from one that is built up from multiple colored elements as if one didn’t have enough elements of a particular color!

3. Replacement greys would mean that your investment in old greys has been cut off in terms of future elements; it would also mean a period of reinvesting in new greys in order to build in new greys.

Further, I really object to the “Half full” comment -- the greys are fundamental colors to many builders. Losing access to the greys for further building does not leave a glass “half full” -- it leaves it entirely empty!

Let’s just hope that these new greys are additions to the color line and not replacement colors as suggested by some.

FWIW, while some of my building is done in grey, I have more commonly been working in black and yellow lately (for quite some time). My concern is for other builders whose entire stake in lego building is predicated on access to the traditional greys. For myself personally, I do not need or want access to other than the traditional light and dark greys. My castle/forestmen/13.13 witch MOCs do not require any other greys.

I could certainly use more traditional light and dark greys though, just as I could use more of all of the more traditional colors. And I will be just as annoyed if and when rather than adding to the color line, they replace traditional yellow, black, blue, red, etc. When I reach for an element of a certain color, I really want it to match with the rest of what I am building. An imprecise color match is a long-time complaint from many against clone bricks -- if the color will not match, and the clutch adhesion of the studs will be compromised, then TLC’s reign as the maker of the best elements will be OVER! Now I love clone stuff, but “Lego” has always been the standard for the best made stuff. I have never argued that point.

I don’t think replacing colors is a small thing -- it’s a huge thing. And I think long-time consumers will feel betrayed and abandoned.

-- Hop-Frog