 General / 43612
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 19:11:40 GMT

In lugnet.general, Anders Isaksson wrote:
Allan Bedford wrote:
But... a slightly more realistic question might be, "are the molds
being changed to help secure new patents?"  In the light of recent
court proceedings I would put my money on this answer.

The chamfering could also help the finished piece get out of the mold
faster/easier, maybe the plates got stuck in the machine?

Wouldn't you then also surmise that you'd have to round off the edges of the
plates/bricks too?

I just can't imagine that after 40+ years the cylindrical stud with the more or
less flat top has suddenly become difficult to manufacture.  Is the LEGO company
de-evolving their technology?

I don't mean to sound so negative, but some of the arguments/reasons being
presented in this thread are somewhat irrational.

The truth is that we may never know.  The LEGO company is under no obligation to
release any information of this type.  I am willing to sit back and wait to see
how things play out.  This may be an experiment, a bad batch... who knows?  The
history of other toys and construction systems suggests that this kind of thing
is almost certain to happen given enough time.  Look at how many iterations of
color, sizes and shapes the Meccano system has gone through over the years.  If
LEGO didn't change from time to time we'd still be in a world without minifigs,
Technic parts, Mindstorms, and the list goes on.

All the best,
Allan B.