 General / 43618
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 01:32:06 GMT

In lugnet.general, Cynthia Bradham wrote:
   Just to add my humble 2 cents here, I bought a used gamma-V (6891) from brick link recently, and when I was putting it together, I was disappointed to see at least 2 different greys which didn’t quite match each other. I assumed the seller had assembled the set from parts and hadn’t paid close attention to whether they matched (or didn’t care). I don’t know if this was because of aging or real production differences. But anyway, it seems that even before these new sets came out, there was already a variance in the greys.

Cynthia, this is almost certainly aging. Any collection of gray bricks going that far back will have variations from contact with UV light. (I have not checked vs unopened sets.) White bricks are the worst agers.

There is also such a thing as factory discoloration - I have a bulk tub from 1998 which contained a mixture of 2 yellow tones, neither of which match other bulk tubs that year. I believe these indicate traces of blue plastic in the machine.

-Erik