 General / 43652
Re: more photos of new colors
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 2003 16:02:51 GMT

In lugnet.general, Ondrew Hartigan wrote:

Hey All,
After not sleeping last night due to being pissed off about this, I went out
today and bought myself the mini star destroyer just to see what I was
getting upset about. Upon opening the set I noticed the different colors and
put them next to some brick I pulled directly from one of the famous red
buckets.

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/roj2323/newcolors/img_8261.jpg>>

A side veiw of the new colors. the new colors are the top and bottom plates.

My original opinion on this by just reading Lugnet (yea I should know better)
was that this sucked and totally screwed me. However that has changed
slightly. The new light Grey is the old light Grey without the yellow "engine
oil" tinge. This yellow tinge was a huge problem industry wide back when the
Lego Company first started making bricks, but with new technology comes pure
color tones. This is probably something they have been working on for years
and it obviously cost them an arm and a leg. I really do have to say I like
it but for those who all ready have a large if not huge supply of the old
Grey it will be a huge setback not only for there wallet but also for there
creations.

After going though my buttloads of light grey I recognize my "very old" light
grey (the "engine oil" shown) from my "current" ones bought in new condition
(SAH, BL, sets) the last decade or so.  That light grey plate ("new" version)
looks much like the ones I have so much of.

That picture you've taken used a flash and will generally put out a color temp
of around 5000 Kelvin (a "white" light, no apparent "cooling" or "warming" bias)
and should give us a very accurate idea of what we get when we hold one.

As long as I can still get the light grey I've got the most of (non-"engine
oil") then I'm happy.

The new dark Grey is very different from the old so I can consider it a new
color. I don't like this new dark Grey but I think I will in time.

The dark grey would take some getting used to if all future dark grey will be
that shade.

Honestly I hope this is a limited run since I have invested so much into the
old colors. I do however like the opportunities it will give me to add more
color to my layout. Let’s just hope that if this is permanent that the new
colors appear in _Pick-A-Brick_ really soon so we can rebuild our
collections.

OnDrew

p.s. I think the 4th color may be white. any thoughts?

words to live by:"Only the best is good enough"- Ole Kirk Christiansen

Maybe this just is one of those "only in a few sizes" kind of things.  (Can I
get 1x16 Technic beams in sand red? And don't say LDraw!)

Adr.