 General / 43615
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 22:36:47 GMT

In lugnet.general, Tony Alexander wrote:
   With no offense intended, this sounds as if those builders out there who are “stuck” with the bricks they have (for whatever reasons) just can’t be as good at MOC-ing as those who can buy the bricks they need to make the “refined” designs look better. I disagree, and think it’s entirely a matter of application; the perfect color scheme seems more like icing on the cake for a good design. This isn’t to say that color isn’t important, but I don’t believe it’s as important as building itself.

Well, I have no problem with those that build in whatever way they choose at all -- in my view, playing and building is the point of it all. I think we’re on the same page there. I also don’t have a problem with additions to the color line, but I don’t necessarily need a color of which there are limited elements available (is the mosaic grey available only as a 1x1 plate? That’s crazy limiting...).

I’m so easy going that I even use clone bricks of various kinds. No problem there either. My dirty little secret is that I probably have more bioknuckle sets than I care to admit -- I remain staunchly opposed to what bioknuckles represents overall, however. I think “collector” stuff is wrong-headed in the extreme. It just turns children into mindless, obsessed “collectors” rather than builders. Such is the case that no one even questions the reason for “dumbing down” lego sets -- it is assumed as a motive on the part of TLC -- kids don’t build, they just consume! I also object to replacement of the technic line with a lot of this junk. YMMV -- whatever.

And you’re right -- a good build is still a good build regardless of the colors used. And as you say, full color coordination is icing on the cake. But some of us have been stocking up on the icing for quite a while...

Yes, we might as well see how this plays out -- but I never really wanted to see any of the basic colors change or get replaced. I also never wanted to see a change in the appearance of the tubes or studs. I think we had already reached a point of engineering stability with those issues, and I as a consumer would have preferred they left those aspect of things alone.

My one big point is that colors should not change. Really it’s as simple as that. TLC can add colors if it must, no problem. But don’t mess with success in the old colors. Like I have stated elsewhere already -- when I reach for an element of a particular color, I really want it to be a particular color and not something else.

I have one area where I am probably less complete in traditional light grey than with any other kind of element -- that would be slopes. Sure, I have a lot by most people’s standards already, but I could use more of certain types for sure. If TLC changes the color of the grey, however subtley, they will be screwing me in terms of my previous investment in light grey slopes. I don’t want to work with a mottled effect -- I don’t go for that kind of realism. I am not emulating the world at large, I have a little world of plastic toys of particular colors that I play in. I would have much preferred that things had remain static color-wise within that world.

I really don’t think I have to make much of an argument in pointing out that the greys are probably a building color of choice for many. The greys photograph well, probably far better than my black and yellow stuff. You can build everything from spaceships to battleships to castle with the greys and they make perfect sense. You don’t have to color coordinate per se -- the greys have been the de facto neutral colors for any and all kinds of MOCs.

You don’t have to agree with me, but I think many do -- changing the grey colors is a huge mistake and people aren’t going to be happy about it if that’s what TLC has done. It’s not as if the bar to professional looking MOCs hasn’t been made high enough already in terms of skill, money, and time.

-- Hop-Frog