 General / 43606
43605  |  43607
Subject:
How close is too close? (was: Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 09:12:25 GMT

In lugnet.general, Mike Oliver wrote:
In lugnet.general, John Neal wrote:

Well, if it's true about the connections being weaker, I'd say that's bad
news. But in all honesty, as a town building and landscape builder, I
{welcome} a slight color variation!  Mix up all of those color variations
and you have buildings and scenery that look even {better} and {more}
realistic!

Half full, people;-)

[JOHN]

I kinda agree.  A slight variation in color will make things look beter.
Mechs, for instance, will look dirtier if two different shades are used.  And
it will add to "brick" effects on buildings.  But, over all, I like the old
stuff better.  It just looks dirtier, grittier.  By adding minute traces of
blue tinge to the plastic, it gives the color a look and feel that is too
new.  I will stay in the camp that the colors are only Lucas Arts tm deep.

   I really don't like the new dark grey very much,
   and I finally figured out why.  Well, there are a
   few reasons, one of course relating to the fact
   that I've become a bit notorious for my consumption
   of that particular color.  But it's a bit more than
   that, and I think you've touched upon it here:

   It's too close to the old dark grey.

   That's what has me all messed up; I agree that two
   off greys would mottle very well, but these two are
   just way too close, and the blue effect makes it
   mismatch way too much.  To see perhaps a "better"
   case, look at the "old" and "new" light greys; those
   might look OK together, if handled judiciously, but
   those two dark greys?  Heck no.

   I'll stay in the hopeful camp, believing that this
   is just a one-off goof or experiment to find out
   how color formulation might go over.  HEY, LEGO,
   IT DOESN'T WORK.  PLEASE STOP IT.  STOP STOP STOP.
   Or else I'll just start building in yellow MegaBloks,
   by which I mean I'd throw myself from a bridge some-
   where, because that'd happen way before I'd build
   with yellow MB.

   Regarding the locking capacity:  It doesn't seem
   too impaired, at least not among the newer parts
   themselves; I haven't tried too much with older
   style brick, but it really seems fine so far as
   strength of connection goes.

   (Say, did this same debate rise up to nibble on the
   collective community when they added grooves to the
   tiles...?  I don't recall; I wasn't on ATL yet when
   that happened.)

   best

   LFB one-two-oh