 General / 43553

Subject:
Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.dear-lego
Date:
Sat, 15 Nov 2003 02:52:26 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Hi all,

This is from a friend of mine, Gareth Bowler:

Got into my first 2004 sets today; the MINI star destroyer set, and promptly scrapped them for parts, only to find, to my shock and dismay, that the colors don’t match. Further more, the studs are rounded, making connections significantly weaker, and the parts overall just have a cheaper feel to them.

The two parts labelled “old” are both from 2003 sets, and have never had a chance to yellow or been exposed to sunlight. The photo was not altered in any way and is the raw output from my scanner.

Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
This is from a friend of mine, Gareth Bowler:

Got into my first 2004 sets today; the MINI star destroyer set, and promptly scrapped them for parts, only to find, to my shock and dismay, that the colors don’t match. Further more, the studs are rounded, making connections significantly weaker, and the parts overall just have a cheaper feel to them.

snip picture

The two parts labelled “old” are both from 2003 sets, and have never had a chance to yellow or been exposed to sunlight. The photo was not altered in any way and is the raw output from my scanner.

(re-posting from BL)

Hmm...

The prophecy is coming true....

I was wondering when this would be made public and if it would be made public.

!!start warning!!
I do not know the full story behind the pictures (like what sets they came from, etc) But I do think this is very true.
!!end warning!!

Back at Brickswest 2003 somebody whou WOULD know let a few in on some shocking news - and I think this is part of it. From what a few were told there were some very basic and popular colors that would come to an end as we know them... and these 2 (dark and light grey) were on that list. From what I was told some of these colors were being discontinued in a way... Lego is still making the basic color - but they are calling it a new name in-house. The person who told us said he was not aware if we would be able to see the difference (he was not able to see any on his computer screen swatches). But it looks like you can tell the difference.

So this could very well be the start of it. And if the rest plays out like this then there are going to be some sweeping changes. I will not - repeat *will not* say the rest of the colors on this list. If this is true we will all find out soon enough. And I will not say who told us - but I would never repeat it if he would not be in the position to know what was going on - he deals with colors in his job everyday.

And about the rounded edges - I am going to keep my mouth shut on that. Because if it really does deter from the sturdyness of the connections if I said what I want to say I would be banned from Lugnet.

Mark P
http://www.landofbricks.com

Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
This is from a friend of mine, Gareth Bowler:

Got into my first 2004 sets today; the MINI star destroyer set, and promptly scrapped them for parts, only to find, to my shock and dismay, that the colors don’t match. Further more, the studs are rounded, making connections significantly weaker, and the parts overall just have a cheaper feel to them.

(pic in original post)

The two parts labelled “old” are both from 2003 sets, and have never had a chance to yellow or been exposed to sunlight. The photo was not altered in any way and is the raw output from my scanner.

Okay.... what happened? Did Lego hire fired workers from clone brands like MegaBloks, Best Lock? This is really sad.....

I think each of us should start making emails and letters expressing our concerns as loyal Lego customers.

Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
This is from a friend of mine, Gareth Bowler:

Got into my first 2004 sets today; the MINI star destroyer set, and promptly scrapped them for parts, only to find, to my shock and dismay, that the colors don’t match. Further more, the studs are rounded, making connections significantly weaker, and the parts overall just have a cheaper feel to them.

The two parts labelled “old” are both from 2003 sets, and have never had a chance to yellow or been exposed to sunlight. The photo was not altered in any way and is the raw output from my scanner.

As I replied ON BL, i still think this is attributed to either light or air quality. The old peices have what i consider “Smokers tinge”, my peices from my youth have simlar discoloring, and my father smokes... I think its the tar in the cigarette smoke. Josh

Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Josh..in my house NO ONE SMOKES and I have noticed some 6 months ago that when you put alot of dark gray tiles together they do not match( I used a large number on that pepsi building roof edge and a ton on that road in my flatiron block) This is not a new thing with dark gray and most deff. not a smoke thing.Look at at this picture of my flatiron road and you can see the different shades of dark gray..these this raod is some 4 months old and the all from new tiles in early mid 2003.When the road was done this is how it looked not after exposure. http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=481673

[...]

I disagree. I took a look at my Mini Star Destroyer and noticed the blue tinge to the dark grey, but initially thought it was the light of the room. But the color is quiet different, and I can pretty much say that I don’t smoke, and neither does Gareth.

I can understand some subtle color ‘sway’, but this is a definite deviance.

Joe

Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!