 General / 43609
Re: Fwd from a builder: Colors don't match, among other things!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general, lugnet.db.brictionary, lugnet.cad, lugnet.market.theory
Date:
Sun, 16 Nov 2003 16:39:34 GMT

In lugnet.general, Adrian Egli wrote:
In lugnet.general, John Barnes wrote:
In lugnet.general, Erik Olson wrote:

Perhaps the new color also masks an anti-fading agent? (seems unlikely.)

I wonder if some of the older dyes have become either unobtainable or have been
outlawed in Europe. Some of the older dyes, even food colourings, are now deemed
harmful. TLC may not have any choice in the matter.

I did some goolging and found this interesting page.

http://www.mst.dk/project/NyViden/2001/12010000.htm

Apparently LEGO has been spending serious bucks into the plastics recycling
business.  Now, the way I see it, if LEGO is putting all this money into this
then I'd think they did some serious research to make sure what they are doing
is consumer safe.

This article is a quite interesting read. What jumped out at me was the mention
that different colors of ABS have different specific gravities (within a small
overall range). I wonder if the saline solution would have a detrimental effect
on the surface quality of parts. Might be an interesting way to sort your pcs by
color. Also might make a neat & non-jugemental way to code colors (by the
specific gravity).

Ray (rambling off on a Sunday morning)