 Trains / 4349
Re: Future of LEGO Trains ? was Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 01:34:31 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

There is a dark side to TLG going to 8 wide. Here goes....

Current 6 wide trains are $130-150. So, if 8 wide is 33 percent bigger (2/6)
will the sets be 33% more exspensive. Maybe LEGO will use big single piece
wall parts and specialty pieces to keep the price down...shudder...but that
is wat LEGO does. The bigger they build the bigger the bricks are. When
firestations and police stations were two storie high there were lots of
small bricks. Now that the police station is 3 or 4 stories high there are
lots of big bricks (I do not know which was first the big brick idea or the
big building idea.

So, I am apprehensive about LEGO going 8 wide, not because 8 wide is
inherently evil, but LEGO may have to lean toward the dark side of 8 wide to
make it affordable.

Chris

John Neal wrote:

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

Dollars to donuts,

I'll take that bet.  If TLC was smart, they'd change everything-- points,
trucks, curves, even the magnet coupling.  A change to 8 wide would be a
natural evolution.  Of course, they could come out with stuff to run on G
scale track like Playmobil already does-- *THAT* would blow my mind!{:^D

-John (still working 14 wide at the moment;)

no matter what the change is, it won't be to go 8
wide... RCX width is primarily due to the battery. Microscout is only 4
wide if you don't count non key mounting stuff... I think.

Steve Martin wrote:

That would be great to go to eight wide trains.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!