 Trains / 4387
Re: Future of LEGO Trains ? was Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 22:39:50 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:

James Powell wrote:

Or with what you are trying to do.  I model to 'MF scale', and I _like_ 6 • wide.
I will stay with 6 wide over the main body for what I do, but I can see that
making 8 wide trains would allow a more realistic (?) model.

OOh, before Lar jumps in here ranting about compression, blah, blah, blah and • the
flames start igniting(;) I will say these two things about 8 wide.  First, I • feel
8 wide *is* MF scale; it just allows for a little more interior room (Also, • see
current TLC designs of *6* wide trucks), and second, 8 wide provides a better
ratio of track gauge to car body width (The ideal width of a car given the • LEGO
track gauge assuming standard gauge 4' 8 1/2" would be *10* wide.  Assuming • narrow
gauge, say 3', the ideal width of a car would be 16 wide).  Beyond that, • nothing
is so radically different.

-John

Blah,blah,blah, compression, blah blah blah, 8 versus 6....
Whatever you choose, most Lego trains (of old) were loosely based on European
prototypes. The "correct" width assuming 4'8 1/2" track gauge will of course
depend on your chosen prototype - The UK, European & US loading gauges are all
different (in that order) so a 10 wide US 'Big Boy' would look correct next to
a 9 wide French TGV and an 8 wide British A4 class steam engine (APPROX!).

Blah, blah

Jon