 Trains / 4376
Re: Future of LEGO Trains ? was Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:22:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Christopher Masi <cmasi@cmasi.chem.tulane.edu> wrote in message
Oh oh oh...another problem with 8 wide (main reason I am avoiding it): • anyone recall
how many engines John uses for his 8 wide stuff? Eight wide is going to • weight a lot
(unless there is exstensive use of thinwalls). Eight wide trains are going • to hit the
limits imposed by 9v before 6 wides. I realize that power is a function of • both current
and voltage, but if the voltage isn't large enough the current cannot be • pushed
through. Eight wide trains could reach the point where the voltage is not • high enough
to push a current through and start the train.

Sometimes the technology does not become the standard, sometimes is the • the technology
that gains the widest acceptance first that becomes the standard. Saying • it another
way; change is a pain.

Chris

I use 2 engines in my 8 wide loco.  I also use 2 engines in many of my 6
wide locos.  An 8 wide car should weigh about twice what a 6 wide would
weigh.  As far as hitting the limits, I don't think we will see the limits
you are thinking about.  2 motors in a heavy train are actually able to
provide enough tractive effort (ooh, nice phrase!) to uncouple the magnets,
so we will not see the motors unable to pull the train first.  Instead, we
will see the couplers fail first.

James Powell has gotten his train up to 89 cars before decoupling.  I think
he has a lot of lighter cars, though.  Imagine a 15 car train, though.  It
should be able to handle that many large cars without decoupling.  15 cars
in that scale is pretty big - like about 20 feet long.  I was thinking that
the magnetic couplers were a problem, since they have a limited amount they
can pull.  That was until I discovered that they could still take more than
twice my current rolling stock collection.

Change is pain.  You are referring to "Entrenched Standards" like everyone
has VHS, so beta and 8mm, which are better, will fail because nobody uses
the format.  That is true in those examples, but eventually, even entrenched
standards die.  8-track lost to cassettes.  Records lost to CD.  Laserdisc
lots to DVD.

Maybe 6 wide will remain, but 8 wide will not die easily, either.  You have
already forsaken 6 wide with your 7 wide cab.  It is just one more stud...
Come with me and we will rule the galaxy as Father and...  oops, wrong
group.

If your main worry on 8 wide is motor power, fear not.  If it is couplers,
there are work arounds to that as well.  (Double couplers vertically stacked
should work if we ever get to that point).  If it is track curvature, a
solution to that problem will come up in the future as well, I would bet.
If Lego doesn't do it, we possibly could get Rivtek to make a bracket that
would hold track and then we can get flex track and snap it into the
bracket.  I would prefer to stay Lego, but as far as entrenched standards
go, being in a groove and in a rut is a fine distinction.  If I could get
some better track elsewhere, I would.  As long as enough people feel that
way, the track will come - either from TLC or another.

I personally feel that the biggest problem people have with 8 wide is
converting all they have over.  Well, we all complain that the new stuff
sucks.  If all you have is new stuff, then go 8 wide.  You won't have 2 club
cars looking at you trying to convince you to stay in kiddie land.  If you
have a lot of old stock, well, you might have a harder time upgrading, but
the problem really lies within.

Mike