 Trains / 4401
Re: Future of LEGO Trains?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 03:05:38 GMT

Jason Brown wrote in message <38B42F60.9B907B00@mines.edu>...

Ben Roller wrote:
Not to be picky, but there have been 3 voltages: 4.5v, 9v, and 12v.  I've • never
seen any 12v and played with 4.5v once, a long time ago, so I can't • comment on
the gauge of the different tracks.

Just going to pop in here:  The gauges are indeed the same, or close
enough.  My 4.5v will run on 9v no prob (well, I swapped the motor with
the 9v, but the cars work just fine), and 9v cars will work on 4.5v
track.  And I belive that 12v is just 4.5v with a third rail in the
middle for power.  I've not seen any myself, but I'm sure that's how it
works.  Just a little info there.  Cya!

Yep, of course the 4.5V being battery operated will work on ANY track! I
assume you can combine 12V and 9V if you don't use any turnouts or
crossings, since I assume you can fit the 12V conductor rails onto the 9V
curved and straight track. Of course there are moderately simple conversions
you can make. You can also turn 9V trains into battery (or even better, RCX)
powered and run them on any track.

Of course TLC does sort of have a 2nd track guage, the monorail track is not
at all compatible with the train track.

Frank