 Trains / 4425
Re: Toy vs Model...The real issue (was Re: Another 6wide/8wide ramble)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2000 00:12:52 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Ben Roller wrote:

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
I know you feel that LEGO is just a toy, Ben.  And if that were my attitude,
then I would have no reason for building anything wider than 6.

I think this point is key.  8 widers seem to think of Lego trains as models,
where a majority of 6 widers (there are exceptions) see them as toys.

Put me down in the exception column. I do models. Just not scale models.
I don't design for play value, I design for evokation of a look within
the imposed palette limitations. This may be semantics but I suspect
most of us, across all genres, feel this way. Just take a look at 5 or
10 random MOCs and see how many are trying to represent something (even
if it's something imaginary).

Just naming a recent few, not intended to claim a perfect sample or the
best of the bunch:

Eric K's "inn of many gables"
Bram's pentawhatzits fighter
Tom's rendered  hangar 33
Carl's Tiger II
Colin's mecha

These all are models (or art, if you prefer) rather than something
that's designed to be a toy. Twisted Time Train, now there's a toy.

Not trying to start a war but I'm a modeler not a toy designer. I
suspect you are too, really, although you may not see it that way. This
is kinda zenish, so if it sparks off a war, sorry about that. But I
think it impacts how one looks at things.

I'm in a mellow mood today, so putting aside kidding (I love to twit
John Neal, it's true) the work the 8 wide guys do is just as valid as
the work the 6 wide guys do. Fighting about it is kind of yawny.

But I doubt I'm going to change, for good and valid reasons. Debating it
is kind of like the HO and O scale guys going at it. (not exactly,
because the fidelity of detail at 8 wide is higher, but similar)

--

Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!