 Trains / 4362
Re: Future of LEGO Trains ? was Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 15:47:29 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Tony Priestman wrote:

On Wed, 23 Feb 2000, Mike Poindexter (<FqD42y.7FB@lugnet.com>) wrote at
02:54:34

Actually, it is both worse and better than that.  Going 8 wide means going
longer, too.

This could be *very* good news, because they'll have to introduce a
larger radius curve for longer stock.

Agreed.

Only basic bricks, plates and a few specialized pieces need to be
added to make these sets bigger.

It's unlikely they'll just add more bricks. To make a large toy train,
they'll use large plastic pieces. If they're putting more electronics
in, the accent will be on play, not modelling.

I could live with larger pieces, as long as they are the *right* pieces;-)
Train fronts (split), nose shells, specialty items (fans), railings, new
trucks.  Let them accent play, give us the tools and we will accent the
modeling;-)

The following is a list of "expensive" items
that don't have to have their quantities upped when the size increases.

Track
Power Controller
AC Power Adapter
Track connection wire
Lego Light
Electric Plate
Truck assemblies (wheels, buffer, magnets, bogie plates)
9V power line
Train Motor

I would guess that a normal 700 piece train that retails for $130 could be
upped into a 1,200 piece train that retails for $199.  Also, they could
introduce the next size up for curves and include them in the set instead of
the smaller curves.

That would be a new expensive part, though, so you'd have to take track
out of the above list.

Not necessarily.  Have you ever priced out Playmobil train sets.  Some are/were
around $500...  Think upscale.

I always felt that trains should not come with track and that the power
controller could be sold with the 18 pieces of track.  That would be better
for the big train guys who have too many controllers.

Mmm. Nice idea, but certainly in the initial period I'd expect them to
market a traditional train set, with track included.

I would rather see them start a new train line with a couple of awesome
trains.  Wouldn't that be a welcome introduction to an Unlimate Collector's
Series Train set:  8 wide Metroliner with 1 engine, 1 coach and 1 club car!
And a Freight Train with a nice big box car, a container car and a tanker.
Finally, follow it up with a Steam Engine that has a tender, a log car and a
caboose.

Nice!

And then sell items individually, as in the model railroading business.  Limited
edition runs of particular cars, engines, buildings, etc, to keep prices high
and to provide variety.  For some reason I'm imagining G scale stuff-- What
would people think about a whole new line at that scale (1:29)?

-John

--
Tony Priestman