 Trains / 4375
Re: Future of LEGO Trains ? was Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 19:06:06 GMT

Christopher Masi wrote:

Yes, Mr Horshack? ;-)

Oh oh oh...another problem with 8 wide (main reason I am avoiding it): anyone recall
how many engines John uses for his 8 wide stuff? Eight wide is going to weight a lot
(unless there is exstensive use of thinwalls).

No, they be heavy;-D  But it's all relative.  They are feathers compared to my 14
wides{:^D

Eight wide trains are going to hit the
limits imposed by 9v before 6 wides. I realize that power is a function of both current
and voltage, but if the voltage isn't large enough the current cannot be pushed
through. Eight wide trains could reach the point where the voltage is not high enough
to push a current through and start the train.

I use 2 motors in my 8 wide engines.  To tell the truth, I'd use 2 motors in 6 wides, too,
because then they *look* the same.  Or, I'd customize my trucks and not use the motors at
all, just to get them looking the same.  But that's a styling issue.  Even with a train
that has 3 passenger cars 70 odd studs long being pulled by an engine that is 50 studs
long, all I need is 2 in the front and 2 in the back (no inclines).  It would be less of
an issue if 1] the curves were gentler (less resistance) and b] the coupling system were
stronger (bag the magnets, TLC).

Sometimes the technology does not become the standard, sometimes is the the technology
that gains the widest acceptance first that becomes the standard. Saying it another
way; change is a pain.

A change (a change) will do you good;-)  <Thank you, Ms Crow>

-John

Chris

Tom Stangl wrote:

John Neal wrote:

I could live with larger pieces, as long as they are the *right* pieces;-)
Train fronts (split), nose shells, specialty items (fans), railings, new
trucks.  Let them accent play, give us the tools and we will accent the
modeling;-)

I've NEVER understood why Lego didn't make nose pieces split to begin with.  Then
they could make each half 2-wide, and you could insert slopes between them to make
them any width you want.  Then they'd only have to worry about making 6/8/10/12 wide
windshields for the different nose halves.

If I ever make an 8-wide, it's going to be in a common color, so I can cut <shudder>
2 6-wide nose slants apart to make an 8-wide nose.