 Trains / 4332
Re: Future of LEGO Trains ? was Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 22 Feb 2000 04:19:20 GMT

If they use a Mindstorms like comuter brick then no modofication to the motor
should be need. The computer brick would control the voltage...D'OH! I just
realized the problem...the motor cnanot get current from the rails and the
computer brick at the same time...

never mind...

Chris

Doug wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Tom Stangl writes:
Doug,

CURRENT RCX are 8 studs wide.  But if they make one specifically for trains, • they
don't have to worry about batteries, and can make it much smaller.  The • regulator
on that type of system would just feed a DCC signal if needed (or have • multiple
speed dials), with the rails getting a full 9V all the time.

I would really hope that they would provide a means to upgrade current motors
to "DCC Ready", if that is in fact the case, personally I would love to see a
LEGO product out of the box(es) be able to be digitally controlled, perform
certain actions (movements) dependant on sensors or relays around the track,
perhaps even a TLG video camera mounted in the nose (did you ever see the
Lionel layout designed for rock icon Neal Young's paralyzed son? It's amazing)
If any of this should come to light it will be one more reason for me to build
my train system "into" my walls and through my house :)