 Trains / 4390
Re: Future of LEGO Trains ? was Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 23:15:42 GMT

snip lots of valid points

have a lot of old stock, well, you might have a harder time upgrading, but
the problem really lies within.

Mike

I agree totally. The problem really lies within me. I like the 8 wide stuff I
have seen. John's Hiawatha (?) is beautiful! Barbra's (?) mototrain is
gorgeous, and it is simply not possible to put the the stuff she had in her 8
wide mototrain into a 6 wide. Windshields, two 4-wide windows is a no brainer
solution instead one moderately hard to come by 6-wide window.

Lots of great stuff about 8-wide, and I keep considering going to 8-wide, but
the momentum in my collection is on the six wide side. An eight wide SD40-2
would have a nicer windows, and I could raise the nose to make the windows look
shorter than the door windows (because they should be). I have even thought
that an eight wide SD40-2 would have an eight wide cab, a 5-wide hood which
could fit 4 macaroni (I'm Italian and I had to look up macaroni, just thought
you would be amused) bricks which would make for a very nice vent. (5-wide hood
because I like the 1.5 wide pseudo-doors on the sides of the cab, and a 1 wide
walk way would seem to small on an 8-wide eingine. I would, however, try 5 and
6 just to check).

I think my personal resistance to 8-wide is based on several factors.
1) more bricks = increased cost
2) more motors = increased cost
3) concern about models looking silly as they go around curves. My SD40-2 is 46
(from memory) studs long, and it is border line strange looking in the curves.
I wonder if I could get away with a 46 long 8 wide SD40-2, and I like the
height so I wonder if I could keep that.
4) 1 Metro Liner  and 1 Club car...grrrr...longer...oh my...$5 a
window...cough...choke...sputter...wider not a problem for two out of the four,
but the other two...grrr.
5) Switcher from 4563. I like that little engine, and the one piece window
would be a probelm. The other cars...easy to change/who cares.

The more I think and write about 8-wides the closer I coming to just doing it.
Maybe I am looking for people to shoot down my excuses, which you have done
expertly.

Chris