 Trains / 4261
Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 18 Feb 2000 13:03:15 GMT

Welcome, Ian.

I've been lurking here for some time myself, and reading over the messages
in this group (and others) tells me that there are several schools of
thought on this issue.

First of all, there are what I would call the "purists."  In simple terms,
all Lego, and only Lego.  No other building bricks, and no modifications to
Lego bricks, and no other materials (foam or other scenery enhancements,
paint on bricks, non-Lego stickers, etc.).

Second, there are several sub-groups that use various other elements to
enhance their projects.  These run the gamut from use of other brands of
blocks (*shudder*) to creating non-Lego stickers using a computer, to what
you are proposing.

Bottom line, do whatever works for you.  One suggestion, however, if you
plan on mixing "traditional" model railroading techniques with Lego model
railroading, I would recommend against going all out with model railroad
scenery decoration (loam, lichen, etc.).  This would give you a traditional
layout, just using Lego track and rolling stock.  To me, that just wouldn't
look right.

What you might consider is using styrofoam, carving it to tolerances close
enough to simulate Lego brick dimensions, and then completely covering the
styrofoam with Lego.  This would create the illusion of a 100% Lego layout
without the large number of bricks required.  Alternately, you could make
your layout entirely out of Lego, but make your landscaping "hollow," with
enough internal supports to stabilize mountains, tunnels, etc.  To get the
bricks required for this, I would suggest set 3033 (available from S@H for
$22.00 US, last I checked).  It has 1200 basic bricks in various sizes and
colors, and several of these sets could go a long way to creating a good
scenery effect.

Hope this helps some, and enjoy building.

--
William A. Swanberg
CPT, SC