 Trains / 4308
Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 21 Feb 2000 04:19:58 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Douglas Pegram writes:
So, staying modular is a big bonus. It helps with the set-up and tear-down
time. Some other factors are that as time goes by, and some of us move out of
the area, or into the area, we can shift the layout without too much hassel.
Also, as others in the area find us, we would want them to participate, and
there-in lies the best reasons to keep us modular; we aren't gonna draw in • too
many new members if can't let them participate in the shows. The last thing
is, that if you get tired of one structure in particular, you can change it
out because you aren't tied to one thing.

I'm curious...have you regulated the requisite size per module (as per N-Trak)
if someone can come up with a set of guidelines regarding size, track
placement, and relative height of ground cover several people from very
different areas could combine modules at any given show or meeting...

This is true, but then you could look at our current layout, or look at the
area of what we have been given for any particular show, and, actively
pettition and negotiate for a certain position on the layout. (A negotiated
transaction is, "Well, we asked for one area and you said no, but you could
have a certain area on our display for this show that we have coming up in..."
All this could occur still way before any showing, and still have the same
effect.
To my knowledge, with certain exceptions, I couldn't see that anyone within
the WAMALUG organization could not have something of their creation displayed
during an event.
To get to the nitty-gritty though, 32x32 baseplate creations, (or multiples,
or fractions thereof,) could easily be inter-changed during an event with
little hassle. WAMALUG currently runs 6-wide stud engines and cars, as most of
the setup is based on some of our members authentic Lego Metroliners, (and
Metroliners based on the instructions for #4558, and for #4547's.)
What has happened at meetings is, people show up. We place things out on the
table. We see how it looks. We move stuff around. We change the track
runs/placement. We look again. We let my son crash some Metroliners. The rest
of the group threatens to kill him. We talk about what's coming up. then we
take our stuff home. It's really very informal. You bring what you want and
what you can. You play as little or as much as you want. You build before,
during or after, (I've done all three,) the actual meeting. It's all very
comfortable, (I can't say informal, because there is some structure to the
meetings).

I'm just talking hypothetically here, and any and all discussion about space
allocation is beyond any power that I personally would have the right to
grant, now or in any future layout for any show or exhibition. (I had to put
in that disclaimer.)

Rich

Have Fun! C-Ya!

Legoman34

*****
Legoman34 (Richard W. Schamus)... (No, I don't work for TLC, but I want
to...)
Card carrying LUGNET MEMBER: #70
Visit http://www.wamalug.org &
http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Castle/1334
...(the wait is over...)
..."The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself." ...
*****