 Trains / 4383
Re: Future of LEGO Trains ? was Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 21:15:14 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

James Powell has gotten his train up to 89 cars before decoupling.  I think
he has a lot of lighter cars, though.  Imagine a 15 car train, though.  It
should be able to handle that many large cars without decoupling.  15 cars
in that scale is pretty big - like about 20 feet long.  I was thinking that
the magnetic couplers were a problem, since they have a limited amount they
can pull.  That was until I discovered that they could still take more than
twice my current rolling stock collection.

To clarify, I was running at the end 89 cars with 3 motors on the point.  The
circuit is 124 pieces long, and I had a gap of 4 pieces.  So, total length was
1920 studs, with a average length per car of 21 studs.  (somewhat longer than a
16 plate car will be over the couplers).  The other dodge to use is to bury a
motor or 2 in the train, 20 cars back or so.

I personally feel that the biggest problem people have with 8 wide is
converting all they have over.  Well, we all complain that the new stuff
sucks.  If all you have is new stuff, then go 8 wide.  You won't have 2 club
cars looking at you trying to convince you to stay in kiddie land.  If you
have a lot of old stock, well, you might have a harder time upgrading, but
the problem really lies within.

Or with what you are trying to do.  I model to 'MF scale', and I _like_ 6 wide.
I will stay with 6 wide over the main body for what I do, but I can see that
making 8 wide trains would allow a more realistic (?) model.

James P