 Trains / 4276
Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 03:54:04 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Larry Pieniazek wrote:

William A. Swanberg wrote:

Bottom line, do whatever works for you.  One suggestion, however, if you
plan on mixing "traditional" model railroading techniques with Lego model
railroading, I would recommend against going all out with model railroad
scenery decoration (loam, lichen, etc.).  This would give you a traditional
layout, just using Lego track and rolling stock.  To me, that just wouldn't
look right.

Well, this is, sort of, what PNLTC does. (and WAMALUG, for that matter,
in their recent show.) I suspect it will be what I do in my home layout
as I don't have enough bricks for modules.

Now Larry, if I've got enough bricks to cover the table surface I'm sure you do.
:-)  Yes, I know I use Duplo for structural support and a ton of BURPs for
terrain, but hey all together it doesn't look too bad.
http://www.pnltc.org/WWF0999/MountainScene/Gal_SEA_WWF_0999_mountain_scene.html

What you might consider is using styrofoam, carving it to tolerances close
enough to simulate Lego brick dimensions, and then completely covering the
styrofoam with Lego.  This would create the illusion of a 100% Lego layout
without the large number of bricks required.

This sounds interesting. It would be important to see if this veneer
could be created in a way that there was still enough structural
strength.

I had talked about this with another club member but I decided at the time to use
Duplo.  Using styrofoam I think is a good idea so as not to use up large
quantities of bricks.  Another possibility would be using wood "steps" for the
terrain changes, that are then covered in Lego of course.

Alternately, you could make
your layout entirely out of Lego, but make your landscaping "hollow," with
enough internal supports to stabilize mountains, tunnels, etc.

This is actually what GMLTC (and Mike P.) do. The modules are as hollow
as can be gotten away with and still have them be strong enough to move
around and take the shocks of being on a trailer and hitting potholes.

The "modules" that make up my mountain scene are hollow but are not nearly as big
for ease of transporting.  I tried to build them sturdy enough and so far they
have survived quite a few shows.

Tom

--
Thomas's & Kristin's Home Page