 Trains / 4280
Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 12:08:16 GMT

I am  Farlie A,

Concering railroad scenery , Yes it can be done in Lego(R)!

However I think we need some parts on bulk order:
  namely Classic Trees as well as flowers.

Additonally we need a new part to act as tunnel or tunnel mouth - Possibly a
ew baseplate. Is there any way I could scan the part idea in and post it
here. I don't have a URL at the moment :-(

Incidentally if you have part designs not current to lego,
I sugest you send them in.( and a copy to yourself) a DAT file in
appropriate newsgroup as well might be useful....

Also Trains is somewhat dead in current EU catalog.

Reason ( from an inside contact):   Lego(R) are completly revamping the
Trains theme! ----
It looks like Mindstorms will be used on trains!( DCC at last)

alex

In lugnet.trains, Ian Sinclair writes:
I have been lurking in the trains group for some time.  I have been
acquiring bricks and planning my intended LEGO railroad.

My first question involves scenery.  I know that the GMLTC group, Mike
Poindexter and possibly others are building large layouts using LEGO
scenery.

I applaud their efforts.  They have obtained some great results.

But because of the sheer magnitude of LEGO bricks required, I don't
see any financial or practical way I can obtain the necessary bricks
for my own model.  Unless maybe the new LEGO Direct service offers
bulk rates at ridiculously cheap prices.  (We can hope, but I doubt
it)

So I'm considering the many Model Railroad techniques involving
plaster, styrofoam and other materials.

Has anyone gone this route for scenery?  What method did you use?

I intend to build all man-made structure, vehicles, and trains using
LEGO.  Mother nature will not be LEGO.

I think I'll chop up base plates to put under most structures or their
foundations.  I figure the scenery will make the transition to man
made models on these plates.  I would like to avoid plaster or paint
on bricks with the exception of things like foundations built into the
side of a hill.  I might use thin sheet plastic cut to the scenery
profile, so the LEGO bricks are still removable.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

<ICS>