 Trains / 4402
4401  |  4403
Subject:
Another 6wide/8wide ramble was: Re: Future of LEGO Trains ? was Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 24 Feb 2000 03:19:20 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Your right, I'm against 8 wide and havn't built any 8 wide.  Why not?  Lots of
reasons:

1) 8 wide demands larger scenery and buildings.  If your logic for building 8
wide is because LEGO minifig trucks are 6 wide then you should make all your
buildings and such that much larger.  Don't use any of the LEGO trees, they
would be too small.

2) I like to see the wheels underneath the car.  8 wide tends to obscure
them.

3) Bigger does not mean better in terms of detail.  Detail is usually
accomplished by what is put on the side.  And in that case it doesn't depend
on how wide.  Although a 8 wide chassis with side detailing is approaching 10
studs wide.

4) Wider trains need to be proportionately longer.  The short radius of track
does not support longer cars very well.  And I see no hope of LEGO releasing a
different radius.  They have had the same radius of track for over 30 years.

5) While I do not care for much of the LEGO stock rolling stock, some of it I
do like and would like to include it without modifying it (The crane car for
example).  Personnally I do not like the metroliner or club car.  Even though
I have three 4558s I have none assembled and use them only for parts.  I much
prefer my custom Amtrak Coast Starlight train.  But it does use some custom
six wide windshields that would make it impossible to build as an 8 wide and
still look as good.

6) LEGO trains have always been six studs wide (with the exception of a few
4.5v trains that have the battery box in the engine) I see no reason to go up
to 8 wide.

But this is just all my opinion.  You build what you want, and I'll build what
I want and in the end, we'll both admire everyone's creations.

I've stayed clear of the 6w/8w debate. But thought it time to put in my $0.02
worth.

Ben F

I say that people who are against 8 wide have, for the most part, not spent
any time making them.  Try to make a few cars.  Start by expanding an
existing car.  Then add more detail in the extra space.  After you have made
4-6 cars, then decide if you want to go back to 6 wide.  John Neal and I
have built a lot of 6 wide trains.  He has built a lot of 8s and I have
built a few.  We have seen both sides and I feel that is the best way to
look at an issue.  Build a few 8 wides.  Sure, they are bigger and take more
bricks.  But Model Team sets have those same properties and from what I can
tell, people love them.  Given the choice, would you rather have a lot of
models that look like this?
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=6425
Or a few models that look like this?
http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=5542

I would opt for something that would impress people.  If you are planning to
go to a train show, people love detail.  Show them trains that look like
Model Team.  Whenever I see a person get compliments on a train, it is most
often about how well detailed it is.  How would one best be able to do that?

Mike Poindexter