 Trains / 4279
Re: Model Railroad Scenery
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 19 Feb 2000 09:28:56 GMT

"Thomas P. Rafert" <trafert1@gte.net> wrote in message
news:38AE13DC.DD860A2A@gte.net...
(much snippage)

Now Larry, if I've got enough bricks to cover the table surface I'm sure • you do.
:-)  Yes, I know I use Duplo for structural support and a ton of BURPs for
terrain, but hey all together it doesn't look too bad.

http://www.pnltc.org/WWF0999/MountainScene/Gal_SEA_WWF_0999_mountain_scene.h
tml

What you might consider is using styrofoam, carving it to tolerances • close
enough to simulate Lego brick dimensions, and then completely covering • the
styrofoam with Lego.  This would create the illusion of a 100% Lego • layout
without the large number of bricks required.

This sounds interesting. It would be important to see if this veneer
could be created in a way that there was still enough structural
strength.

I had talked about this with another club member but I decided at the time • to use
Duplo.  Using styrofoam I think is a good idea so as not to use up large
quantities of bricks.  Another possibility would be using wood "steps" for • the
terrain changes, that are then covered in Lego of course.

I actually considered this as well, but without permanently gluing bricks to
the wood, then you still have multiple "pieces" making up one mountain or
whatever.  The thing I like about styrofoam is that you can depress the
bricks into it, making one solid scenery piece that is more stable, and
lighter too!

--
William A. Swanberg
CPT, SC