 Off-Topic / Debate / 16244
Re: jumping to conclusions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 16:48:23 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

I was referring to PLO *terrorists*.

So, if it is only the PLO terrorists who are uncivilised troublemakers, why
are you anti-Palestinian?

The Palestinians *support* the PLO
and all of their terrorist activity.

I think the point Scott is trying to make is that not *all Palestinians*
support the PLO, just as not all Americans support Dubya.

Comparing the Palestinian "system" with ours is a stretch, and you'd be
surprised how many Americans *support* Bush on certain policies (such as
terrorism), but putting that aside for the moment...

I thought his point was that not all Palestinians are terrorists.  But if it is
that not all support the PLO, I'd gladly hear *any* documentation for *any*
dissident voices from the Palestinians.  That, incidently, is what is necessary
for peace.  No amount of international intervention is going to do a technic
bushing amount of good if the Palestinians don't want peace *above all else*.
That is not the PLO's goal; the PLO therefore must go, and new leadership from
within the Palestinian population who desires peace must arise.

But sadly, as evidenced again today, they continue to adopt a policy of terror
to slaughter innocent Israelis.  They are sealing their own tomb.

Therefore, saying
that you are against Palestinians (implying *all*) because they support the
PLO is not a logical argument.

Virtually every Palestinian recognizes the PLO as its representative body.  They
back them 100%.  It isn't like a Democracy, say in the US, where there are
opposing party ideas.  There is *one* voice, *one* mind among the Palestinians,
and whoa to any Palestinian who should speak out against it.  It will take
courage to speak out against the PLO.

The boldest Arab peacemaker I know of (Sadat) was assassinated by his own people
for his actions (and yet, through his negotiations with Begin at Camp David, he
was able to peacefully liberate the entire occupied territory of the Sinai
pennisula from the Israelis.  That land would *never ever* have been liberated
by force or the use of terror)

We need another Anwar Sadat.  The Palestinians need him more.

-John