 Off-Topic / Debate / 16243
Re: Peace in the Mid-East?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Sat, 27 Apr 2002 16:27:19 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:
correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Barak offer Arafat in one of the
"agreements" a palestinian state in the west bank and gaza, including a
capital in east Jerusalem?  and was turned down, because Arafat wanted more?

Who can say why the offer was rejected?  Arafat is a Grade A loser and the
Palestinians should get rid of him.

If only the Palestinians lived in a Democracy and could get rid of him.  I
think perhaps this is the problem.  As I understand it most, if not all, Arab
nations are not Democracies.  The people in those states know only what their
leaders tell them.  If the people were given the opportunity to think for
themselves would they still act as they do?  Perhaps I am being overly cynical,
but so long as dictators are running the show I do not see peace as very
likely.

At the same time, I saw it as an act of
bad faith on the part of the Israelis to vote Sharon into office considering
the sort of message it sends to the opposition.

Look at the flip side though.  What message did it send when Arafat rejected
basicly everything he claimed (to "Western Diplomats") to want.  Regardless of
whether it was right for Israelis to elect Sharon, was that not a response to
Arafat's descision to reject Barak's peace proposal and resume the terror
attacks?

Now that both sides are led
by whackos -- well, you see the results...!

well, I can see why Israel _had_ to take those territories in '67 - it comes
down to the "defensible borders" thing...   Besides, Israel conquored the
west bank from Jordan - if anything, it should be returned to Jordan, not to
the PA.

what do you see that tells you that Israel doesn't want to co-exist?  My
opinion comes from talking to many Israelis (not counting my opinion being
an israeli opinion to begin with), and it comes down to this:  If the PA
wants their own state in the west bank, great, give it to them.  But no one
trusts the PA (currently) not to use that state to launch attacks against
the rest of Israel.  And that's the problem, as I see it.

Can you see why the above two sets of statements don't seem to belong • together?

So which is it -- are they distrustful and therefore act aggressively first
against perceived threats, or do they genuinely want to make peace with
possible neighbors?

Just thought I'd point this out.

Would that someone could magically bring peace.

-Mike Petrucelli (who still can't figure out why we all can't just get along)