 Off-Topic / Debate / 16362
Re: Dave's Anti-American Rant (you've been warned) was Re: Peace in the Mid-East?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 15:40:55 GMT

Be careful of straw man summations like that.  A privatized system doesn't
say "you're wealthy, so you're *better* that that impoverished fellow over
there."  Instead, the privatized system says "I am charging money for
services I provide, and those who are able to pay for those services will
receive them."  There's no implication of "better" or "worse" people
inherent in the privatized system.

There might not be an obviously *stated* implication, but an *inherent*
implication--"Those that don't have money, don't get"

I am charging money for the services I render, and if you cannot afford to
pay, you don't get my services.  It's *in* the system, it's an axiom, it's a
base rule.  Better vs. worse, rich vs. poor, whatever--it's a 2 tier system,
with the inherent implication that the poor have to go to a charity hospital
for lifes necessities, but what kind of standard is that?  If a chain is as
strong as its weakest link, the capitalist system fosters lots of weak
links.  It also fosters big thick strong links, but the chain will still
break at its weakest link--I don't care how many millionaires and multi
millionaires are in the equation--look where it's deficient.  Capitalism is
not a Just system.  At best, it ignores the poor.

    Dave!

And if Canada's public systems are so great, why did Neil Peart prattle on
about all that Objectivist silliness?  8^)

I'm up on alotta things but I missed this reference.  I do agree that
Canada's systems are not the greatest by any stretch.  I also don't look to
put our systems on other countries, either--there's the difference.  'Truth
, Justice and the Canadain Way' is not the running motto.  We'll take the
plank out of our eyes first (I hope).

Dave