 Off-Topic / Debate / 16347
16346  |  16348
Subject:
Dave's Anti-American Rant (you've been warned) was Re: Peace in the Mid-East?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 17:42:10 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Mike Petrucelli writes:
Of course China being a dictatorship might have a problem with
that.  Maybe my personal problem with the whole thing is I believe everyone
should have the right to live under the ideals of the United States
Constitution.  Something the US Government does not even seem to believe
anymore.

The Constitution gave you the Government you (the US electorate) did *not*
vote for... ;)

Scott A

-Mike Petrucelli

I believe that the most un-American place in the world right now is America.
If this 'wonderful' country was founded on 'freedom' and the 'Pursuit of
life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness', it ain't showing right now.

'America-Love it or Leave It'?

Yeah, nice saying--that really cherishes freedom.

So basically, the bottom line, when it all comes down to--the slogan for
America should be

America--Follow our rules and give us what we want or we'll bomb the
proverbial H-E-double hockey sticks outta ya!

In "The American President' Mike Douglas said something like, 'To be truly
free, you must have the right to fight for the flag and at the same time
give others the equal right to burn that flag in protest'  That's true freedom.

Am I miffed?  All my life, living right next to the new 'Gods Chosen Land',
I've heard time and time again that 'Oh Americans!  Oh the *United States Of
America*!  Star Spangled greatness!'

Yeah, you can keep it.

I don't want to live under the ideals of the United States Constitution.  I
thank God I'm Canadian every morning when I wake up.  'Can't have publicly
run medical system because that 'smacks of communism'--those commie pink-o's'.

I was watching Bill Maher the other day and they were yapping about the
medical system and some young actress, who has probably never stepped foot
in Canada was going on about how bad the medical system is up here.

Look sister, at 3 a.m., if I wake up with a 'tummy ache' do I have to worry
if I have coverage?  Do I have to check the bank account to see if I have
enuf bones to cover a trip to the hospital?  Nope.  I go, the docs look,
they patch me up and send me on my way.  Do I see a bill?  Do I have to pay?
Do I even have to think about money?  Nope.  Not one little bit. Yes we have
room for improvement.  Yes some people have to wait.  I don't know who,
though.  The longest I have ever waited in a waiting room was 30 minutes,
and I let the young kid go first cause I only had a cut thumb that needed
stitches.

Our medical system allows and will pay almost the entire bill for Ontario
citizens to 'hop across the border' to Buffalo to get MRI's done if they
don't feel like waiting up here.

The 'big issue' for me is that people need a god.  If it's not the God of
the Bible, people turn to something else.  I believe, and it's only my
belief here, that *Americans* have turned to the god
Consumerism/Capitalism/whatever you wanna call it.  Putting faith in a piece
of paper--Look people, the constitution is not some holy relic that has to
be cherished above all else.  The forefathers were intelligent men who
drafted up a piece of paper to start off a nation.  They didn't expect this
piece of paper to run the nation for the rest of time.

If people are ***dieing*** out in your country but you can't change your own
gun laws 'cause of what a little piece of paper says, you have a seriously
mixed up country.

K, I'm also pi$$ed 'cause us Canadians are getting more respect from the
West Wing TV show than we are from Dubya and his cohorts.

I didn't care about being slighted during Dubya's State of the Union (in
which he listed off like 30ish countries that were going to help out with
the war on terrorism, but Canada--not mentioned).  The reason that I didn't
care was 'cause it was *your* state of the union.  Why should Canadians be
concerned what some foreign dictator--I mean President, has to say when he's
addressing his own country.

But 4 Canadians died in this 'war on terrorism'.  It wasn't that that got my
ire either.  The fact that they died because of 'friendly fire' was of not
huge import to me, either--I pray for the pilot who dropped the bomb on the
Canadians--He has no worry of blame from this corner of the world--mistakes
happen and I hope that he can see that, and not 'beat himself up' over it.

But the tally of the list of casualties on the CNN website, listing all the
soldiers who have died in this war, not listing, or mentioning the Canadians
at all, or the idea that Dubya didn't seem to regard it at all until way
after the incident, and even then only said something 'cause he was directly
questioned about it--I mean, thanks for coming out.

Who in this world is your biggest partner for *anything*.  Where is the
longest undefended border in the world?  Who supplies you with the best
actors and actresses ;)

I'm not part of the political power of Canada so I don't have to 'suck up'
to the 'super power' of the world.  There is a very old idiom that people
would do well to heed--Power corrupts--Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Hello America, you big Super Power you!

Take the plank out of your eye before you go thru the world trying to remove
the speck out of other people's eyes.  Clean up your own back yard before
you think of telling other countries what they can do in their back yards.
America has an enviornmental mess that rivals none other (and now let's go
drill in Alaska--good idea).  Drugs, alcohol, and racial wars going on in
the cities, and kids are dieing!  And yet, 'Our hands are tied by the
Constitution'?  Yeah, well, whatever!

Canada is not exempt from any of these but we also don't go around telling
people in the rest of the world to be more like us.

No, I don't want your constitution thank you very much.  I don't want your
god of capitalism.  I'm quite content to be Canadian.

/rant off

Dave
-who appreciates his American friends, but not the 'American System'