 Off-Topic / Debate / 16344
Re: Peace in the Mid-East?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 13 May 2002 11:51:25 GMT

What does he have to hide?

No answer? Has the cat got your tongue?

Grow up.

lol. A very adult statement!

The world has been ignoring the problem since '67... and before. The problem
is Israel and its apologists. If they had chosen to abide by UN resolutions,
this would largely be history.

Do you really think so?  I really don't.

Thanks for your view!

The Intifada is a result of
desperation/oppression, not a unilateral act of war.

What we are talking about here are two separate issues, which have been uniquely
intertwined by Islamic extremists.  First, you have the issue of autonomy for
the Palestinians.  But then you have Islamic extremists taking up the cause of
the Palestinians and turning it into a Holy War against Israel and the West.
Arafat and Bin Laden are merely using the Palestinians to further their own
agenda, which really has no regard for the Palestinians people.

As I have stated before, the Palestinians need to denounce all of the hate
groups that are trying to "help them" by murdering innocents, and forge their
own destiny with Israel.

On Israel's terms?

Even if that is true, and the reality were worse, Israel's actions force
them into the hands of Arafat… and worse. Look at how Hamas has gained
strength since Sharon came to power. Do you really think that is a
coincidence?  Think about it for one second!

I think you have it backwards.  Sharon's coming to power reflects an attitude
change in Israel, which is that they are getting fed up with making concessions
in "peace talks" and getting nothing in return but a growing number of terrorist
attacks against them.  They are coming to the realization that Islamic
extremists will not rest until they have purged Israel from the earth no matter
what concessions or agreements Israel makes.

...and the way to cut-off Hammas is with the education of their support, not
killing civilians. But remember, there are extremists on both sides... and
some of the Israeli ones are not even elected(!):
http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/world/middle_east/newsid_1982000/1982851.stm

Unfortunately for the Palestinians, they are merely pawns, caught in the middle
of a large scale ideological (and now since 9-11, real) war.  I truly believe
that the *real* enemy of the Palestinians is actually the Arab world itself.

I can't agree with that.

Scott A

-John