 Off-Topic / Debate / 16273
Re: Cease fire (was: Re: Peace in the Mid-East?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:43:15 GMT

Anyone who supports the actions of
terrorists is just as culpable as the terrorists themselves.

I happen to agree with this viewpoint.It's nice and tidy and has a nice
absolute finality to it. No equivocating. But it has a big problem. It opens
one up to questioning one's own motives.

People who want to assail one's position will (rightly) point out that you
yourself have supported terrorists before.

Isn't that merely deflection; skirting the issue at hand?  I talk about
Palestininan terrorism, and they shift the focus to *my* supposed support of
terrorism.  How is that germane?  Merely as an attempt to discredit me as a
hypocrite?  "Everyone's hands are dirty, so we can't judge"?  I don't buy it.

<snip>

You see that in effect here, don't you? Any enumeration of PLO
transgressions is met with an enumeration of Israeli transgressions in
reply.

Sure, but that just leads to stagnation and inaction.  I never said Israel was
perfect in their actions (past or present), and nobody is anyway, but I can't
see siding with any party who continually and repeatly uses and supports such
inhumane uses of violence (and I'm talking about homicide bombers here, not any
action Israel has taken lately to apprehend terrorist leaders)

I really believe that the only way a peaceful solution will be found will be for
the Palestinians to reject the PLO.  Once the world sees that they are serious
about peace, then progress can be made towards establishing a Palestinian state.

-John