 Off-Topic / Debate / 16272
Re: Cease fire (was: Re: Peace in the Mid-East?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 15:08:41 GMT

Anyone who supports the actions of
terrorists is just as culpable as the terrorists themselves.

I happen to agree with this viewpoint.It's nice and tidy and has a nice
absolute finality to it. No equivocating. But it has a big problem. It opens
one up to questioning one's own motives.

People who want to assail one's position will (rightly) point out that you
yourself have supported terrorists before. And it's true, the US has in fact
supported groups that were terrorists (sometimes for what seemed good
reasons at the time, sometimes for the personal power or aggrandisement of
particular officials).

Worse, the US public (individually, via donations) supports all sorts of
groups... The IRA, Hamas, Shining Path etc. etc. all get donations from US
citizens even if the government doesn't. Since many repressive goverments
and their state media organs have a lot of trouble with the concept of
independent citizens making independent contribution decisions, that tends
to get lumped in with official government actions.

If one evaluates relative good and relative outcomes, it's pretty clear that
the US is mostly a force for good, whatever the excesses (which are
unacceptable in and of themselves and in a country that is rule of law all
need to be fixed), and that Syria, for example, is mostly a bad guy,
whatever the small good things that it might do happen to be (which all need
to be encouraged).

But you can't make that mostly argument when you use absolutes. Since I'm an
absolutist that's a big problem.

So I'd rather make a relative argument as it's more convenient. For example:

Israel is bad at adhering to rule of law and human rights, but the PLO is
somewhat worse.

Janet Reno is bad at adhering to the rule of law but Fidel Castro is far worse.

and so on...

But as soon as I make that relative argument, I get called on it, because
I'm an absolutist. And pointing out that the callee is worse cuts no
mustard. You see that in effect here, don't you? Any enumeration of PLO
transgressions is met with an enumeration of Israeli transgressions in
reply. Make no mistake, in a perfect world Sharon would be tried as a
terrorist. But in that perfect world a lot of people, worse than he, who are
getting passes now, would be too.