 Off-Topic / Debate / 16270
Re: Cease fire (was: Re: Peace in the Mid-East?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 30 Apr 2002 14:30:22 GMT

John,
this is a rather unique record of the thread. For the record, I did not
simply say I was "sympathetic with the Palestinians".

(Sorry about the butchered pasting):

You: mean that I oppose the actions of both "PLO terrorists" and the Israeli
    > state. My views on human rights and international law, together with my
    > understanding of recent middle-east history, leads me to sympathize with
the
    > Palestinian people, not with "PLO terrorists". I hope you understand the
    > distinction between the two.

Me: Sorry, there isn't one.  The PLO represent the Palestinians.  Whatever the
PLO
    does, the Palestinians support them.  Anyone who supports the actions of
    terrorists is just as culpable as the terrorists themselves.

This is what started this whole debate.  You believe what you want, and I'll do
the same.  It's all a matter of perspective here.  You and D.Tutu believe Israel
is oppressing the Palestinians.  I, and a lot of others, see things a different
way.

There is a struggle for world opinion going on here, and you are free to choose
any side you wish.  But please don't try and convince me that your opinion is
somehow "more informed" and impartial, as if you are above taking sides.  If you
don't choose to take a side, then take a seat on the sideline, because nobody
likes a fence-sitter (Or at least I don't).

And that is my graceful attempt to say "good day".

-John