 Off-Topic / Debate / 16350
Re: Dave's Anti-American Rant (you've been warned) was Re: Peace in the Mid-East?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Tue, 14 May 2002 00:09:41 GMT

Let me begin my "pro-American" Rant by saying that I do truely love Canada,
in my heart it is a very close second to the nation of my birth, so please
do not construe my remarks as "anti-Canadian", as that is not how I intend
them. But I certainly must stand up for this country in the face of your rant.

I believe that the most un-American place in the world right now is America.
If this 'wonderful' country was founded on 'freedom' and the 'Pursuit of
life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness', it ain't showing right now.

'America-Love it or Leave It'?

Yeah, nice saying--that really cherishes freedom.

So basically, the bottom line, when it all comes down to--the slogan for
America should be

America--Follow our rules and give us what we want or we'll bomb the
proverbial H-E-double hockey sticks outta ya!

I too hate any level of intolerance, no matter what country in which it
exists. It is hard sometimes when other ignorant people are burning your
flag and calling for the wholesale death of you and your homeland. Your
second slogan is way off base, we as a nation have tolerated more than any
other nation in recent history has been called on to endure. If we were so
ready to bomb anyone who was different than us countries like Cuba, Iran,
Saudi Arabia, North Korea, etc. would be glowing. We patiently try to
negotiate and smile while these nations spout their hatred.

I don't want to live under the ideals of the United States Constitution.  I
thank God I'm Canadian every morning when I wake up.  'Can't have publicly
run medical system because that 'smacks of communism'--those commie pink-o's'.
<-snipped much of the medical system talk>

Truth be told the only reason the Canadian medical system works is because
most Canadians live within 100 miles of the United States. You may
appreicate the fact that you can stub your toe and have a doctor look at it
for no charge, but it ruins the integrity of any medical system. Call me
what you like, but I have an inherrent dislike of govenment regulation of my
personal life, and having them in the medical system is opening the door
wide open for mismanagement. I, like many others, know someone personally
who died because she was put on a 8 month waiting list for an MRI.

The 'big issue' for me is that people need a god.  If it's not the God of
the Bible, people turn to something else.  I believe, and it's only my
belief here, that *Americans* have turned to the god
Consumerism/Capitalism/whatever you wanna call it.  Putting faith in a piece
of paper--Look people, the constitution is not some holy relic that has to
be cherished above all else.  The forefathers were intelligent men who
drafted up a piece of paper to start off a nation.  They didn't expect this
piece of paper to run the nation for the rest of time.

If people are ***dieing*** out in your country but you can't change your own
gun laws 'cause of what a little piece of paper says, you have a seriously
mixed up country.

You have presented a very narrow and ignorant understanding of the
Constitution and our right to protect ourselves. The Constitution was
established to maintain the rule of law for the nation and to protect
individuals against intrusive governments. The gun debate is far too drawn
out and divisive to go into now, suffice it to say that I tend to fall on
the right of citizens to bear arms.

K, I'm also pi$$ed 'cause us Canadians are getting more respect from the
West Wing TV show than we are from Dubya and his cohorts.

<another huge snipe>
Who in this world is your biggest partner for *anything*.  Where is the
longest undefended border in the world?  Who supplies you with the best
actors and actresses ;)

Not only actors and actresses but singers and locations to film our movies
and television shows, And who can forget the greatest export to ever come
from Canada, the game of Hockey! (I still haven't warmed up to curling)

I'm not part of the political power of Canada so I don't have to 'suck up'
to the 'super power' of the world.  There is a very old idiom that people
would do well to heed--Power corrupts--Absolute power corrupts absolutely.
Hello America, you big Super Power you!

Alright time to get serious about the idea of Canada having any real power.
Besides "tagging along" in our last few major campaigns I think your last
offensive was against a merchant transport ship, and what an impressive
victory it was.

Look our system is not perfect by any streach of the imagination, but it is
far better than most. Whenever you have a country that fosters freedom you
will have those who abuse their rights. Remember God gives all men freedom,
governments take them away. I personally wish our nation (dubya included)
would work more toward a free market or truely capitalistic society.

Finally I want to reemphasize that I really do love Canada, unless we are
playing you at hockey (I am still disappointed at the silver). And I will be
the happiest guy when you guys finally give up trying and become the next
batch of states, and we can call our selves the United States of North
America. Although can we leave Quebec out of it? :)

Scott