 Off-Topic / Debate / 16231
Re: Peace in the Mid-East?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:56:31 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Dan Boger writes:

the way I see it is simple - both Israel and the PA want their own
country.  Both think they deserve self-rule, autonomy, etc...  I've no
problem with that.

So far I think we're all on the same page.

What I have a problem with is that apparently, Arafat
(and that may or may not reflect the palestinian people) wants that country
to be the whole of Israel...

How has this been made apparent?  This is not apparent to me.

What is apparent to me is that they want territories that Israel stole in the
60s back and they aren't willing to compromise on it.  Maybe they should and
maybe not.  How compromising would you be if I took something of yours a while
back?

and the Israelis can't accept that (for
obvious reasons, I think?).

If you're previous assertion were true about Palestinian (or Arafat's) wishes,
then we'd be looking at a very different playing field, I think.  I would be
highly inclined to agree with your stance.

I beileve Israel is willing to co-exists with a
"Palestine", and I don't see the same willingness no the other side.

What exactly is "a "Palestine"?"  And what makes you believe that they're
willing to coexist?  Their record doesn't seem to support such a notion.  Do
you think that something critical in the Israeli group-think has changed?

Chris