 Off-Topic / Debate / 16230
Re: jumping to conclusions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 2002 17:17:40 GMT

We must work at
finding peace.  Real peace only comes with understanding, via education, not
with supplying guns and ammo to either side to escalate the violence.

Again I say to you, Dave, in all sincerity:  what if one party doesn't *want*
peace?  This is the dirty little secret we in the West are having such a hard
time understanding.  Of course everyone wants peace, right?  That's the goal of
any civilized society.  But we are not talking about "civil" people; we are
talking about people who murder innocents randomly and for what?  What do they
want?  Peace?  They want something, but peace isn't it.  I'll let you connect
the dots.

John,
Your whole thesis appears to be:
1) Arabs/Palestinians are uncivilised troublemakers.

I was referring to PLO *terrorists*.

2) Israel is a peace loving nation.

Never said that.  What would Israel know of peace?? She has
never been allowed to exist in peace!  Yes, Israel *would like* to exist in
peace, but for now, Israel would just like to exist, period.

3) There is an international anti-Israeli media conspiracy which distorts
reality.

I never said that, either.  I said there is a liberal bias in the media, which
tends to sympathize with the Palestinians.

However, to date, you have produced nothing that backs your thesis as a
whole other than your own biased opinion. In short, you lack all credibility
on this issue.

I made no "thesis".  And what the heck's a "biased opinion"?  Of course my
opinions are biased!  You probably think yours are unbiased.  Anyone who
supposes that has no credibility, IMO.

Despite that, you are welcome to hold your opinions. What I don’t get is why
you hold them? Why do you ignore the truth?

What "truth" do I ignore, Scott?  And why do you need to "get" why I hold my
beliefs?  I have *no* idea why *you* believe what you believe, and couldn't care
less anyway.

It is not even as if you offer a
different perspective on events, you just ignore reality and make wholly
unsubstantiated allegations.

I have no idea what you're talking about.

Answer me this, Scott:

1. Is terrorism ever justified?

2. Was the attack on 9-11 justified?

3. What in your opinion *should* have been the US response?

4. Does Israel have the right to exist?

5. Has the PLO ever promised peace?

6. Does Arafat *want* peace?

-John