 Off-Topic / Debate / 16254
16253  |  16255
Subject:
the song of peace (was Re: jumping to conclusions)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 08:19:22 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Ross Crawford writes:

I was referring to PLO *terrorists*.

So, if it is only the PLO terrorists who are uncivilised troublemakers, why
are you anti-Palestinian?

The Palestinians *support* the PLO
and all of their terrorist activity.

I think the point Scott is trying to make is that not *all Palestinians*
support the PLO, just as not all Americans support Dubya.

Comparing the Palestinian "system" with ours is a stretch, and you'd be
surprised how many Americans *support* Bush on certain policies (such as
terrorism), but putting that aside for the moment...

I think he was comparing people not "systems".

I thought his point was that not all Palestinians are terrorists.  But if it is
that not all support the PLO, I'd gladly hear *any* documentation for *any*
dissident voices from the Palestinians.  That, incidently, is what is necessary
for peace.  No amount of international intervention is going to do a technic
bushing amount of good if the Palestinians don't want peace *above all else*.
That is not the PLO's goal; the PLO therefore must go, and new leadership from
within the Palestinian population who desires peace must arise.

Very few occupied peoples do have open and free political systems. The world
is full of oppressive regimes... Arafat heads one of them. What you fail to
recognise is that Israeli occupation actually cement's his support - not
weaken it. Just like how Nasser’s support was increased when Israel was
bombing Ciaro!

But sadly, as evidenced again today, they continue to adopt a policy of terror
to slaughter innocent Israelis.  They are sealing their own tomb.

I agree, it was an unacceptable and horrific act. The very same can be said
of Israel’s actions and presence in the occupied territories.

No doubt you will argue that because I sympathised with the victims of
Saturdays attack, I must support the illegal Israeli occupation!

Therefore, saying
that you are against Palestinians (implying *all*) because they support the
PLO is not a logical argument.

Virtually every Palestinian recognizes the PLO as its representative body.  They
back them 100%.

"Virtually every Palestinian" is not 100%. Even if they are coerced into
openly supporting him, their minds are still free. Also, I expect they
prefer him to Sharon!

It isn't like a Democracy, say in the US, where there are
opposing party ideas.  There is *one* voice, *one* mind among the Palestinians,
and whoa to any Palestinian who should speak out against it.  It will take
courage to speak out against the PLO.

I expect the  PLO is viewed as the lesser evil.

The boldest Arab peacemaker I know of (Sadat) was assassinated by his own people
for his actions (and yet, through his negotiations with Begin at Camp David, he
was able to peacefully liberate the entire occupied territory of the Sinai
pennisula from the Israelis.  That land would *never ever* have been liberated
by force or the use of terror).

It was obtained via force, and held using terror. An Islamic extremist army
officer, not the Egyptian equivalent of Joe Bloggs, murdered Sadat. He was
murdered 2 months after Begin humiliated him by backtracking on the Camp
David accord in the Knesset.

If you feel Sadat’s demise shows us the Arab world does not want peace, what
do you think the murder of Rabin tells us? He was murdered, at a *peace
rally*, because he had given away part of the “promised land”.  He had just
said:

"I was a soldier for 27 years. I fought so long as there was no prospect of
peace. I believe that there is now a chance for peace, a great chance, which
must be seized."

"This rally must send a message to the Israeli public, to the Jews of the
world, to the multitudes in the Arab lands and in the world at large, that
the nation of Israel wants peace, support peace and for this, I thank you."

He had just sung “the song of peace” at the rally. One of the three bullets
reportedly passed through the words of that song he had kept in his pocket.

So John, what does his murder tell us?

We need another Anwar Sadat.  The Palestinians need him more.

ROFL. Do you think Sharon would speak to him? Perhaps Netanyahu?

Scott A