 Off-Topic / Debate / 16181
Re: Canceled Lego Theme...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Fri, 19 Apr 2002 02:22:48 GMT

In lugnet.off-topic.debate, Scott E. Sanburn writes:
Dan & All,

It seems funny this goes right into debate, since I have not posted here for
a variety of reasons in many moons.

Wow. Ranks right up there with that Holocaust series of sets.

Scott S.
--

Scott,

I have to ask if you are suggesting that it's innapropriate to use Lego bricks
for the expression of social-political satire?

Did I ever say that? No. All I said is that it your creation, along with the
Holocaust Sets, seem to have the same controversial (SP?) or shock aspects
and theme that some people might find offensive. I don't find it offensive,
maybe a little riske, since it is such a hot subject right now. But do what
you want with your bricks, you own them.

Or are you suggesting that any social-political commentary outside official >USA doctrine to be as offensive the Holocaust?

Now your really stretching this. Again, all my comment is saying is that you
took a very controverisal (SP?) subject (The Middle East Mess) and made a
LEGO creation from it, for shock / satire value, and, IMO, wanted some kind
of resonse. In my mind, both of the creations in question are no different
in terms of shock value, regardless of the underlying political / religious
debates about each of those subjects, which I do not want to discuss here. I
was talking about shock value.

I hope I cleared this up. Feel free to ask for clarifications if I am not
clear enough on this subject. Here is a summary:

1) I did not call for censorship or whatever else people read into this - do
what you want with your stuff, whether it is LEGO or not.

2) I posted my response to the shock value - both LEGO creations are
expressing controversial subjects, and I think both have a high shock value,
regardless of peoples opinions on those subjects.

Scott S.
--

I was wondering where you were making the connection between my image and the
Holocaust set and you cleared it up perfectly well.  Thanks!

Most people who know me very well, know I like to build rather off the wall
models and my subjects aren't always candy coated.

By the way, I posted my reply to Scott's message to .debate simply because it
wasn't relavent to .build and I didn't know where else to post.

Dan