 Off-Topic / Debate / 16177
Re: Canceled Lego Theme...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 21:10:39 GMT

Just as a note, the US Supreme Court ruled on this very topic this week and
for once, by 5 to 4, got it right. (they ruled that depictions of acts by
adults in a way that made them appear to be being carried out by children
were not child pornography, per se.)

Yes, leave it to the scum to circumvent law to appease their perversions.

  There's that word again.  And here's another anecdote from my storied
history:  While in college I met a 20-year-old woman with Turner's syndrome;
she had only a single chromosome, she never developed secondary sexual
characteristics, and she was sterile.  She was also about 4'9", and she used
to lament that (to use her words) she resembled "a nine year old girl."
Though I can't speak from personal experience, someone might reasonably
identify her as a pre-teen; if she were to pose for artistic nude
photographs, even if those pictures portrayed sexual situations, would they
be porn simply because she looked like she was too young?  If so, then she
could reasonably claim that her right to artistic expression was infringed
simply due to the perceptions of others.  That, I think, is part of the real
wisdom of the Supreme Court's decision; not all adults look like adults,
even when they're nude.

  ***WARNING: SEMI-LIBERTARIAN STATEMENT***
"The scum" will circumvent the law in any case, so why create or judicially
uphold a law that will only infringe on the rights of the law-abiding?
  ***END OF SEMI-LIBERTARIAN STATEMENT***

The slippery slope slants both ways.

   I'd be inclined to express my delight that this is the case, but of
course slippery slope reasoning is prone to fallacy.

     Dave!