 Off-Topic / Debate / 16174
Re: Canceled Lego Theme...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 20:31:16 GMT

Am *I* comfortable with it?  Not at all.  As stated, I didn't appreciate a
red stripe on a black canvas.  That was just a stripe!  There is a bigger
picture, and I think the history of my posts have said again and again--I
have the freedom to do whatever I want as long as it does not infringe on
someone else's freedoms--'Swinging my arms as long as they don't connect
with your nose'.  That's 'big picture'.

Warning! Dave Koudys is espousing Libertarian rhetoric in the above :-)

Yeah, I thought he was from England;-)

If someone makes a crude drawing/computer animation/cow paddie/tuna fish
sculpture depicting sexual content amongst kids, he has that right.  That's
what freedom is.  I also have the freedom to *not* buy said 'art'.  If the
person in question used real live kids for inspiration, then again, freedom
was curtailed and arrests should be made.  But if it was from his own
imagination, what can you arrest him on.  Thoughts are not arrestable
actions.  Actions are arrestable actions.  If we start arresting people for
thoughts, then, as a Christian, you know we all 'fall short' and would all
be in jail.

Just as a note, the US Supreme Court ruled on this very topic this week and
for once, by 5 to 4, got it right. (they ruled that depictions of acts by
adults in a way that made them appear to be being carried out by children
were not child pornography, per se.)

Yes, leave it to the scum to circumvent law to appease their perversions.  The
slippery slope slants both ways.

Our society will be hurt by this.

-John