 Off-Topic / Debate / 16202
Re: jumping to conclusions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 01:10:19 GMT

Here's an image for you:  Palestinians dancing and celebrating in the streets
after 9-11.  No sympathy here, buster.

I did not expect an answer from you on this. The reality is that anyone who
did celebrate the loss of life on September-11 probably would view those
killed as being supporters of the “Zionist oppressor/aggressor/whatever”.
That is, in the same simplistic manner you think all Palestinians are
terrorists; they may well have viewed all US citizens as their oppressors.

Having this discussion with you is futile-- I *never* said that I thought all
Palestinians are terrorists.  From your "sighs" in previous posts, it seems to
me that you think that you have such a superior command of facts.

Have you ever been to Israel?  Have you ever even spoken with a Palestinian?  Or
is *your* information simply your daily dosage of BBC poured down your throat?

It might surprise you to learn that I *have* been to Israel, I have met many
Palestinians, I have played basketball and soccer with their children in
Ramallah and Nablus, I have even studied the Arab-Israeli dilemma from a
professor at Beirzeit University-- so I have first hand knowledge of the
problems there.

All of the Palestinians I met were fine and peace-loving people.  My point is
that they are not being well served by PLO terrorist leadership.  They have,
unfortunate as it may be, backed the wrong horse.  And they will continue to be
frustrated in their nationalistic endeavors until they choose peace over their
allegiance to Arafat and the PLO.  There could (should!) have been peace *
decades* ago!

Let's see the Palestinians take the "high ground".  No more terrorism, period.
And let's see an unequivocal acknowledgment from the Arab world of the right for
Israel to exist as a sovereign nation.  It must begin with them, because it is
not reasonable for the world to expect Israel to answer terrorist attacks
against her citizens with inaction, or to expect them to negotiate peace with a
group who is simultaneously inflicting terrorist attacks upon them.

But I don't believe it will happen, because the Arab world loves its hatred for
the Jews more than it cares about the plight of the Palestinians-- it's as
simple as that.  Unfortunately, the Palestinians are caught in the middle.

Time will tell, and the longer this drags on, the more I will be proven right.

-John