 Off-Topic / Debate / 16172
Re: Canceled Lego Theme...?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Thu, 18 Apr 2002 19:44:45 GMT

Am *I* comfortable with it?  Not at all.  As stated, I didn't appreciate a
red stripe on a black canvas.  That was just a stripe!  There is a bigger
picture, and I think the history of my posts have said again and again--I
have the freedom to do whatever I want as long as it does not infringe on
someone else's freedoms--'Swinging my arms as long as they don't connect
with your nose'.  That's 'big picture'.

Warning! Dave Koudys is espousing Libertarian rhetoric in the above :-)

So let's get into how this Dave
Axiom relates to the way I look at life.

If a person got 2 kids in his/her apartment, stripped them naked and took
sexually suggestive pictures of them, that is infringing on the kids
freedom.  I would definitly say that some 'nose punching' occured.  Arrests
should occur.

If someone makes a crude drawing/computer animation/cow paddie/tuna fish
sculpture depicting sexual content amongst kids, he has that right.  That's
what freedom is.  I also have the freedom to *not* buy said 'art'.  If the
person in question used real live kids for inspiration, then again, freedom
was curtailed and arrests should be made.  But if it was from his own
imagination, what can you arrest him on.  Thoughts are not arrestable
actions.  Actions are arrestable actions.  If we start arresting people for
thoughts, then, as a Christian, you know we all 'fall short' and would all
be in jail.

Just as a note, the US Supreme Court ruled on this very topic this week and
for once, by 5 to 4, got it right. (they ruled that depictions of acts by
adults in a way that made them appear to be being carried out by children
were not child pornography, per se.)

I still wanna know what a cow paddie is, though. I know what rice paddies
are, and cow patties too, but cow paddies are a new one on me. :-)