 Off-Topic / Debate / 16213
Re: jumping to conclusions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.off-topic.debate
Date:
Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:07:11 GMT

Since the PLO represents them, they are in the
unfortunate position of supporting terrorism.  They are being woefully misled.

This really is nonsense. Tony Blair can be said to represent me, that does
not mean I necessarily support him

So what's a Palestinian to do?  Speak out against the PLO?  Peacemakers aren't
very welcome in the Arab world--just ask Sadat's widow.

As an aside, I happen to live in a state whose major newspaper, (and I use that
term loosely) The Minneapolis Star and Tribune, is about the most biased paper
in the US.  A different editorial staff from another city even criticized it for
that reason.  I'll have to see if I can dig up the sources.

Relevance?

None really, except to note that the US media is getting *so* biased that it is
surprising even itself.

Rather than alleging some sort of international media
conspiracy,

Not conspiracy, just liberal bias.  It's a fact.  I have friends in the media,
and they acknowledge it, too.  If you want to believe that the media is
unbiased, that's your business, but you'd be wrong.

Have you got any independent confirmation that there is an anti-Israeli bias
in the press?

What exactly is "independent confirmation"?

Who else can they turn to? International law is on their side. UN
resolutions support them... but still justice has not been served.

The UN Charter called for them to set up their own state *54 YEARS AGO*.  What
have they been waiting for!!

They were dealt a bad hand.

By the Israelis???!!!  No! The PLO should be terrorizing the UN!

And let's see an unequivocal acknowledgment from the Arab world of the right for
Israel to exist as a sovereign nation.

Is that not what is being offered right now? What has the Israeli response been?

What do you expect their response to be??!!  The proof is in the pudding, my
friend.

Answer the question!

How about:

"You've *already* promised that many homicide bombings ago.  Excuse us if we
seem skeptical"

Any Palestinian could be a human bomb, for all
they know... That tends to skew one's perception of a population-- a perception
brought on by that population.

Strange how the UK was able to control a terrorist situation in the UK
without firing rockets into residential areas.

Relevance?

Are you saying Sharon has no blood on his hands? Seriously?

Relevance?  Or are you implying that Arafat is an innocent?

Who “started” the current round of violence?

Current schmurrent.  Who started the war in '48?

Answer the question!

Relevance?  But if you'd like me to answer the question, it needs to be more
specific, unless you'd like to provide what *you* think started it?

But I don't believe it will happen, because the Arab world loves its hatred for
the Jews more than it cares about the plight of the Palestinians-- it's as
simple as that.  Unfortunately, the Palestinians are caught in the middle.

Your stated view is a generalisation. But why do you think that “hate” exists?

You say so.

It’s a fact.

??? It's a fact that my stated view is a generalization?  Even if it were true,
it wouldn't necessarily negate it.

Hatred exists because of intolerance.  This whole thing started
because the Arabs couldn't tolerate a Jewish state.

Time will tell, and the longer this drags on, the more I will be proven right.

Time will tell. Perhaps this will end when the USA stops funding Israel to
the tune of ~$2.5B pa. Perhaps that will force Israel to negotiate?

You idiot.

*sigh*

Sorry, but it was such an idiotic statement.

We will *never* stop supporting Israel.  *Their* allegiance could be
argued to be more valuable than yours (England).

I’m not English, I don’t live in England.

My misteak.  Meant UK.

I should hope the “allegiance” is valuable, given that the US pays Israel
the equivalent of >$400 per head of population. It’s just a pity they
humiliated your president last week on the international stage… not very
good value for money!

Israel is not our lap dog.  We cannot tell them what to do or not to do.  We
support them because it is in the best interests of *our* country, not
necessarily theirs.

But speaking of funding, let's see the Arabs throw a few billion towards the
Palestinians that *isn't* in the form of weaponry...

Are you saying they give nothing? Are you saying Jordan has not helped?

Jordan *expelled* thousands of Palestinians...

Are
you saying Syria did not offer to take 300,000 refugees in ’49 – even though
they only had 100,000 within their borders at that time?

To be assimulated, or to rot in refugee camps for entire generations?

-John